Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Bits and Bytes

The two terms of "bits" and bytes" are commonly used computer terms.
Many people tend to mistake these two terms. They do not mean the same thing.
This is a scenario of a way how these two terms are mistaken.

SCENARIO

Tom has an enquiry about his internet connection speed and decided to call up his Internet Service Provider(ISP)

Tom: Hello there. I am not sure why I can't reach the maximum speed for my broadband internet service when I download. What is the problem with you guys?
ISP: I am sorry, but what is the issue?
Tom: I had just signed up for the 10Megabyte per second broadband service. Why is it that the maximum speed when I download is only about 1.25 Megabyte per second?
ISP: I am sorry sir, but I think you have been mistaken. We do not provide internet service at a speed of 10megabyte per second, but we do provide a 10megabit per second one.
Tom: ??? Whats the difference? Don't try to scam me!
ISP: Bytes are denoted as a capital letter B, but bits are denoted as the small b.
Tom: !@$# Stop B 'ing around. I'll find out myself! You dumbass! Don't try to scam me of my money! I am going to complain you to the ministry!

Tom slams the phone down.

This is the common confusion people space.

For now, let me clarify your doubts.
Bits usually refer to the data transfer rate, while bytes mainly refer to the storage capacity of a certain media.

Conversion between bits and bytes are as follows.

1byte(B)=8bits(b)
1megabyte(mB)=8megabits(mb)
1gigabyte(gB)=8gigabits(gb)

So therefore, if you have signed up with your ISP for an 8mbps broadband plan, you would only expect a download speed of 1mBps.

For example, this is showing downloading rate in bytes. -windows downloader.
Note that the byte is denoted as capital letter "B".














While here, the transfer rate is in bits, denoted by the small letter "b".














There,we had bits and bytes explained.

No comments: